Oh my, I feel old! I have toyed with not posting this as I did find a lip dub made by a college in the UK on YouTube, but that was only one. Here, it looks like every high school does one. What is it? Well it’s a lip-syncing video made by high school kids on a grand scale. The key common factors seem to me – in the poll of three lip dub’s I have just managed to watch (although I only made it through all of one of them and that was the one Child 1 was in so I felt somewhat obliged to view it all) – to be as follows:
- Whole school participation – already I’m thinking this is a massive waste of time when kids could actually be learning something.
- All the chosen ones – those that actually lip sync, rather than the hoi polloi lining the walls or doing stuff – have to walk backwards. That’s practically dangerous.
- The stuff they do. Apart from the lip sync-ers, there seems to be a heavy emphasis on cheer-leading cheering and football players looking manly. Quite a lot of balls get thrown. Mr T says he likes the school band, (so we are BOTH getting old, clearly) but where are the chemistry labs?? This is a school people!!
- Dodgy camerawork. I can only imagine the fall-out after this. In the ones I’ve seen the camera flies past hoards of desperate looking teenagers, all consumed with hand clenching excitement at being in this video. How many hopes and hearts across the land are crushed each year when these poor kids find out that they are a) barely in focus, b) grinning inanely or c) that they just bent down to tie their shoe at the wrong moment and missed being in the Lip Dub altogether. No. It’s just too painful thinking of all those young dreams being shattered.
- Littering. In my sample, again, admittedly small, there was a lot of little bits of paper being thrown over heads. What’s that all about? And who had to clear it up, eh?
- Apart from that it’s great 😉 School spirit! Yee ha. Yay. etc.
If I haven’t put off all right-thinking people already, here is the Lip Dub for Child 1’s school this year. Given that it is another seven years before Child 3 finishes high school (known as graduating in these here parts) I don’t think this is the last lip dub I’ll get to enjoy….